Monday, March 09, 2009

THE NAMING OF DOGS





"The naming of dogs is a serious business..." -H.P. Atilano





I know this isn't very original. To those who have read Alfred Lord Tennyson's "The Naming of Cats," this is no novelty. I just want an appropriate opening for a topic that is so close to my heart: the naming of my dogs.




Some of my friends find it weird that I give my dogs two to three names. I started with Sophia Athena Lauren (Sophie) and Shutruk Maximus Nahunte (Shutie). Then, it became an even more serious business with the arrival of the first batch of litters: Sui Simone Guinevere, Slim Shady, and Jack Sparrow.



A dachshund came along and he was christened Sultan Cassius Caesar. Then, another litter of three: Strudel Mishael, Socrates Leonidas Octavian, and Sage Augustus Caesar.A litter born solo was named Suri Hermione Dawn. And another litter: Shinnik, Shamook, and Shakespeare. The most recent batch of three litters are called Shylock Brabantio Nahunte, Sam Mercutio, and Sappho Juno.

Perhaps, the more interesting question is not "why" do I give them their names, but "how"? How do I name, my dogs?

I name my dogs the way a mother would name a baby she's long been waiting for: uniquely, lovingly, tenderly. I usually make allusions to mythological/literary or historical characters. At times, I just put two or three cute names together and love the sound of it. I give them a name that would give them an identity, a uniqueness to which they will eventually respond. Most of all, with every unique name comes the reminder that someone loves them so much that she's willing to run the risk of being laughed at or tagged as weirdo.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Manay,

cute dog names, kasagad sa imo mag hatag ngalan hehe..

I'm reading your old posts here, hanga gid ko sa imo poetry. Grabe gid sa imo kasagad!!

more, please!

~ Maping

12:44 PM  
Blogger deathpearl said...

Let me share this to you guyz... everytime i read one of her writings, am really amazed coz it never failed to make me smile. Right at the moment, am laughing out loud because of the unusual(usual) names she gave her dogs. Truth to be known, those names rang a bell if u happened to read literary pieces. hahahahaha those names were really amusing and quite unique on their own ways.
way to go miz A!

guess its safe to say that am just so lucky to be one of her students!!!!!! hurray hurray!!!!

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home