Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Psychoanalyzing Blake


Here are two very interesting guys: William Blake [1757 - 1827], English artist, mystic and poet; and Sigmund Freud [1856 - 1939], Austrian psychotherapist and "Father of Psychoanalysis."


Here's one popular approach to literary criticism, called the Psychoanalytic or Freudian Approach:"

"Psychoanalytic criticism originated in the work of Austrian psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud, who pioneered the technique of psychoanalysis. Freud developed a language that described, a model that explained, and a theory that encompassed human psychology. His theories are directly and indirectly concerned with the nature of the unconscious mind.

The psychoanalytic approach to literature not only rests on the theories of Freud; it may even be said to have begun with Freud, who wrote literary criticism as well as psychoanalytic theory. Probably because of Freud’s characterization of the artist’s mind as “one urged on by instincts that are too clamorous,” psychoanalytic criticism written before 1950 tended to psychoanalyze the individual author.

Literary works were read—sometimes unconvincingly—as fantasies that allowed authors to indulge repressed wishes, to protect themselves from deep-seated anxieties, or both. After 1950, psychoanalytic critics began to emphasize the ways in which authors create works that appeal to readers’ repressed wishes and fantasies. Not only is the diction examined for sexual imagery, but the whole work is seen through Freudian concepts: struggles of the superego, the Oedipus complex, with the repressed contents of consciousness, etc. The aim is illumination of psychic conflicts, not aesthetic ranking." (Adapted from The Bedford Glossary of Critical and Literary Terms by Ross Murfin and Supriya M. Ray. Copyright 1998 by Bedford Books.)

Now, here's one very intriguing poem by Blake:

The Sick Rose
by William Blake


O rose, thou art sick!
The invisible worm
That flies in the night,
In the howling storm,


Has found out thy bed
Of crimson joy,
And his dark secret love
Does thy life destroy.



Now may I ask, what is the above poem all about? What's with the "sick" rose? The "invisible" worm that "flies in the night"? What's with the "bed," "crimson joy," and "dark secret love"?

I'm pretty sure that if Mr. Freud were alive today, he'd have a really interesting "reading' of Blake's poem. I took this poem up with my English 106 (The Teaching of Literature) class and we ended up quoting Freud.

Let's hear your thoughts on this.





Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Joanna Cammelle Valladolid said...

Hi, this is Joanna Cammelle of BEEN3A. Psychoanalytic approach is an interesting approach to Literature as what we have studied in Literary Criticism because it exposes an interpretation to a certain literary text that is surprising. In Blake’s poem The Sick Rose I found some symbolism (although I am not sure about it):
Rose: Love or Woman
Worm: Sickness or death
Bed: could be sex or death
Crimson joy: lust
If I would interpret the poem, I think this poem talks about Death. In the poem, it says (based on my interpretation) that the worm, which is death or sickness, is searching for this rose. When the worm found the rose it takes it away its life, though, the rose was lusting for life. But, I could not support this analysis well.
I have another interpretation which is about LOVE. The rose could be a mistress and one day the wife found out her relationship with her husband and the mistress’s life was destroyed because of what happened.
I hope my interpretation makes sense…:)

3:53 AM  
Blogger ken ken said...

O rose, thou art sick!
The invisible worm
That flies in the night,
In the howling storm,


Has found out thy bed
Of crimson joy,
And his dark secret love
Does thy life destroy.


Now may I ask, what is the above poem all about? What's with the "sick" rose? The "invisible" worm that "flies in the night"? What's with the "bed," "crimson joy," and "dark secret love"?

highlow.?.ken ken again...n_n

Of all the approaches I have encountered since our lesson of the kinds of approaches started, this Psychoanalysis Approach has made impact in to me. I mean, it isn't that boring unlike the others and it triggers my imagination to think of something phallic about a certain literary piece. Based on my first impulse the:
"sick" rose symbolizes longing for someone
the:
"invisible" worm that "flies in the night" means the imagination of desire that popped in
the:
"bed" is the place of sexual pleasure
the:
"crimson joy" means the erotic excitement
and the:
"dark secret love" is a pinch of alluring fantasy felt for someone

aren't those great.?.

Mary Carl Secong BEEN3A

12:46 AM  
Blogger Cheri Mae V. Miranda said...

Howdy, Ms. A?! This is Cheri Miranda from Literary Criticism class.

These interpretations are entirely my own so excuse me if they might be far-fetched (which I hope they won't be).

From what we had discussed and how I understood about Psychoanalytic Approach, it considers a literary text to be a suppressed desire or fantasy of an author. So I won't be surprised if, were Freud alive, he would interpret Blake's poem as something sexual. Putting myself in Freud's shoes (which is quite a task), here are my readings of the poem:

I consider rose as a person particularly a woman prostitute and associating sickness as a sexually transmitted disease. The invisible worm is the customer. Invisible because he disguises himself and worm maybe because he was an unloyal/hypocritical person or lover like he could be a family man engaging on extramarital affairs. The bed of crimson joy could refer to sexual intercourse done in bed. The dark secret love could be the hidden relationship between the man and Rose which destroys the life of the committed man.

Another interpretation could be destructive love that results to addiction. Rose could be a twisted kind of love that's why it's called sick. The invisible worm is an ordinary person that fell victim to love out of his loneliness and searching for company. Finding rose aka destructive love, the person also found its bed of crimson joy that could refer to carnal pleasure and other sins involving love. He then became addicted and his dark secret love (referring to rose) destroys his life.

I have extracted all my creative juices and these are what I have come up with. I just hope they would be a little related (if not entirely the same) to the original reading.

4:10 AM  
Blogger Katrina Cassandra Ong said...

Among the many approaches we have tackled in class Psycoanalytic is the most intriguing way of interpreting a literary work. After reading the poem "The Sick Rose" I used Psychoanalytic approach to interpret the poem. I was able to identify some symbolism to the following words: "Sick" rose symbolizes a crazy woman. "Invisble" worm may stand for a man who is hiding, who doesn't want to be seen. "Flies in the night" may mean doing something secretly. "Bed of crimson joy" may refer intense feeling of pleasure of doing sexual intercourse. "dark secret love" may mean as love that is forbidden or hidden. My interpretation of the poem is that a woman having an affair with a man who is already tied up with someone makes her a stupid or crazy woman and because of lust the woman destroyed the life of the couple.

Well, I guess that is the best interpretation I can give. But I find it really fun trying to give symbolism to the words in the poem so I was able to easily interpret the work of William Blake.

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home