Monday, July 13, 2009

Jacob Black: My Archetypal Knight in Shining Armour

"I couldn't imagine my life without Jacob now—I cringed away from the idea of even trying to imagine that. Somehow, he'd become essential to my survival. But to leave things the way they were… was that cruel, as Mike had accused?

I remembered wishing that Jacob were my brother. I realized now that all I really wanted was a claim on him. It didn't feel brotherly when he held me like this. It just felt nice—warm and comforting and familiar.Safe. Jacob was a safe harbor...

Would it be so wrong to try to make Jacob happy? Even if the love I felt for him was no more than a weak echo of what I was capable of, even if my heart was far away, wandering and grieving after my fickle Romeo, would it be so very wrong?

Jacob stopped the truck in front of my dark house, cutting the engine so it was suddenly silent. Like so many other times, he seemed to be in tune with my thoughts now. He threw his other arm around me, crushing me against his cheat, binding me to him. Again, this felt nice. Almost like being a whole person again." -Bella Swan, "New Moon"


Jacob Black. Not your average teen werewolf. He's gentle, nurturing, jolly (at least before he started morphing into a giant russet wolf), and, on top of it all, a true and mature lover. His love for Bella Swan is unselfish and liberating. He is very protective of her. He could "read" her, like he's her very own soulmate. I would have to say, I can't help becoming an official member of Team Jacob, as the New Moon plot thickens and I'm seeing this character as a "knight in shining armour."

I feel that his chivalry must be rewarded and his pure love requited and reciprocated. It seems quite unfair for Bella to feel so comfortable in Jacob's arms and dream of Edward every night. And yet, it seems understandable enough for her to pine for her first love. The Romeo-Juliet-Paris love triangle alluded to by Bella in her reflections over Edward's inconstancy and Jacob's comforting presence seems very appropriate. Indeed, Bella, like Juliet, may now give serious consideration to the possibility of making Jacob happy, and ultimately end her lonely days. Then again, her heart "thinks" otherwise and, in a bitter twist of fate, Jacob has now become as dangerous to Bella as Edward is.

The best that can be said of Jacob Black's presence in Bella's life is that Bella has a formidable protector and a selfless lover. I love the way he cares for Bella and respects her choices and feelings. His chivalry is almost palpable. At one point, while reading New Moon, I wished Edward wouldn't ever come back. I wished Bella would fall for Jacob. After all, it's not everyday that a small-town teenage girl meets a dashing, nurturing, and protective werewolf.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katrina Cassandra Ong said...

Jacob Black filled the love that Edward was suppose to give Bella...Jacob, a werewolf, was ready to give the whole him to Bella without limitations, expectations nor fears...i do agree that he is a "knight in shining armour" that every girl dreams of...Bella being prone to danger always comes Jacob the savior and gives Bella the protection that Edward can't give at the moment...I feel the love that Jacob is giving Bella everytime he takes hold of Bella's hand, everytime Bella feels the warm breath of Jacob and everytime Bella finds herself on the arms of Jacob...there are times we think the only way to avoid danger is by running away to save the one you love...but sometimes running away would result to a greater danger of not having the same love she felt for you again because when there is always a Jacob who is going to be there beside her filling her empty heart with love while you keep on running, are the the a moments you missed. And sometimes when you find yourself to a stop there is no one to go back to anymore...

So Edward just keep on running because Bella will always be safe with Jacob....Go Team Jacob...

8:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Miss Kristine here... i really liked talking about Harry Potter with you miss.. Talking with you miss felt like talking to another potterhead.. Unlike the usual teacher-student conversation..
Anyway.. hehe.. I am not in the Team Jacob but i definitely like Jacob Black.. What i personally like about Jacob is his nature.. He's not your too good to be true character.. he is your typical guy.. he can be rude sometimes.. he can be very impulsive and frank.. he is in short close to being real than Edward with his perfect features and traits...
When Edward left Bella was deeply wounded and was close to being insane.. Jacob stitched her back up. There were indeed parts when i almost hated Bella for using Jacob.. but wierdly enough somehow i understood what Bella is going through(curse Edward for doing that!).
Jacob was so easy to fall for. He was your typical knight in shining armor and i felt so bad upon redaing the end of Eclipse.. I felt his hurt and i felt guilty as well. If i could only choose him. If i could only choose them both.. when i finished Eclipse this is what i felt.. Half of me wanted Jacob Black..
Breaking dawn brought me to tears because of Jacob Black..
But at the end Jacob too had his happy ending.. even though he's not with his first love.. at least now he got the happiness he truly and rightfully deserved...
- "The clouds i can handle.. But I can't fight with an ECLIPSE."

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home